Saturday, April 30, 2011

Final Post

For my final post on this blog (for now, who knows what the future holds), I have been asked to reflect on the potluck dinner that our class prepared.  While I could mention the difficulty of trying to make your Grandma's recipe as well as she does it (especially since she doesn't follow a recipe), I think the goose encounter is the most appropriate.

Some members of the class were attacked by a goose on the way to Ann's house.  Although I never saw the fowl beast, it does illustrate key themes from this course.  Ann mentioned that she was enforcing insider/outsider exclusivity by not letting the goose in.  In our class we have often read the work of outsiders or work that is about outsiders.  At least in Mennonite writing, it seems to be the most fruitful.

I think it's funny that even when the outsider is just a goose, that is what people choose to write about.  Also, I never actually saw this goose.  We have explored how Mennonite writing keeps stories alive.  The most memorable part of that dinner was something that I don't remember, but just heard stories about!

Anywho, goodbye to my devoted blog readers.  I will see you all in the big blog in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment